Saturday, May 16, 2020

Interview with altruisticapathy

"I'm a normal person, just like you, and I'm more than just my unusual romantic partner. "

Dan: Would you be ok with having this interview published online? You can keep your identity
anonymous if you wish, and you may choose to not answer any questions.
AA: Yes I am, and I would prefer to keep my identity anonymous. I don't mind the use of my username.
though. Thank you!
Dan: Ok, cool! So do you know what fictosexuality is?
AA: I think so. I've heard the term a few times. From what I've seen, the meaning tends to vary, but for
the most part it's the sexual attraction to a fictional character. It doesn't necessarily have to be their
status as fictional that causes the arousal, but fiction characters are typically more attractive than
three-dimensional people to a fictosexual. Though I wouldn't necessarily identify as fictosexual, I think
it's important to be inclusive of everyone no matter what their sexuality is, and including fictosexual as
an orientation definitely helps with that.
Dan: That’s probably one of the best answers I’ve gotten. So do you have a 2D SO?
AA: Thank you :) Yes, I do. Since the show's debut, I've had a massive crush on the character Lena
Sabrewing from the rebooted Ducktales animated show. For the first year, I tried to ignore that feeling,
but it was persistent and wormed its way into my daily thoughts. When the season finale of the first
season aired, (Spoiler alert) her character was killed off by her abusive aunt, Magica De Spell.
Watching her die was probably the most painful thing I'd ever experienced, and I was a little unsettled
by this emotional reaction over a character. A year prior, I had been the one to find my father dead of a
heart attack, but then I had felt no remorse or sadness over his passing. With Lena's death, I felt an
unimaginable crushing pain that I couldn't explain. Thinking of myself as a rational person, I tried to ignore it,
distance myself from the show and fandom, and move on with my life. But eventually, I started seeing
glimpses of her in my dreams. Nothing more than her streak of pink hair rounding a corner, or staring at
me from across the street, but she was always there whenever I closed my eyes, like she was reaching
out to me. I spent days and weeks hoping that somehow her character would return, and that she would
end up safe. When she was resurrected, I was so happy. Canonically, she's now free from her abusive
aunt and now has a loving adoptive family. Seeing her happy was the closest I had felt to true happiness
in the recent year. (Sorry if this is too long, I can shorten my responses if you'd like.)
Dan: Wow. I’m so sorry to hear that she died. My husbando is dead, too. But your relationship is very cute!
So do you feel like your relationship with her has something that IRL relationships lack?
AA: I do. Though not necessarily unique to romantic relationships, I feel much closer to her emotionally
than anyone IRL. When a character's struggles and downfalls have all been displayed to you in such a blunt
fashion, episode by episode, there's very little room for secretiveness, unlike an IRL relationship. There's so
much emotional masking in relationships nowadays that it's difficult to want to deal with the superficial side
of other people just for sexual gratification. An emotional connection is a thousand times stronger than any
sexual one. My condolences for your husbando. :(
Dan: Thank you. And do you feel that IRL relationships have something that waifu relationships don’t?
AA: I do. I think the biggest difference is the complete independence from the other person. Having someone
else with the same immediate free will as you do is difficult to achieve when your significant other is only able to
interact with you through your mind. Of course, the physical aspect is absent as well in fictional relationships, but
feeling like you're just talking to yourself is much more painful, whereas IRL relationships provide an entirely separate
point of view to learn from.
Dan: Being in a fictional relationship can be very painful sometimes, huh? But IRL relationships aren’t too different.
AA: Absolutely. It's an interesting comparison, especially given that each has significant downfalls and bonuses.
To each their own, I suppose.
Dan: When did you know you were a waifuist?
AA: Probably when my enjoyment of her character became more than just casual. It's a little unusual having a giant
anthropomorphic duck plush when you just think the character is 'neat'. Though I don't consider us necessarily "in a
relationship" as her reciprocation can't really be confirmed, I like to think that one day I'll be reborn in her world where
I can tell her how I feel. You know what they say, happiness comes to those who wait. All I can do now is make my love
for her such an integral part of me that I retain it even after death. :)
Dan: What do you wish people knew about waifuism?
AA: That it's not just for weirdo neckbeards living in their mother's basement, and most times it isn't even sexual. I'm a normal
person, just like you, and I'm more than just my unusual romantic partner. It's no different than being gay. I'm still a person with
completely normal interests and friends, and waifuism doesn't have to be so stigmatized. I think it's easy to make fun of
communities like Furries and waifuists, but at the end of the day we're people all the same.
Dan: So true. You go on r/cringetopia and furries and waifuists is all you see. Are you a member of the LGBT+ community?
AA: Yes, I am. I am agender, asexual, and panromantic/fictoromantic. When the website is published, I would be interested
to see how many waifuists relate to/are part of the LGBT+ community. I feel like there could be a connection there.
Dan: Most of the people I’ve interviewed have said that they’re not, but that they are allies. I myself am a trans man, however.
AA: Ah, wonderful. There's definitely a lot more open minds, for sure. It's nice to know that it's an all around accepting community,
as being with Lena definitely helped me discover how I identified as LGBT+. Having someone to rely on is so important.
Dan: On a different topic, what are your views on polyamory in the waifuism community?
AA: Personally, I'm not polyamorous, but I think that polyamory gets a bad rap. The term polyamory would imply a romantic
or sexual love, but that isn't the only kind of love one can feel. There's no reason that you can't feel love for multiple waifus,
or even 'freindos'. Being emotionally close to your friends, whether fictional or real, is very important. While it is possible to
maintain a polyamorous romantic relationship, I think that that's a little bit too much for me personally. Anyone is welcome to
have as many waifu's as they please, however if it becomes more like a harem than a family, then it's probably unhealthy.
Generally, a good rule of thumb is to engage in a polyfictitious relationship the same way you would with an IRL polyamorous
relationship: with honesty, open communication, and trust.
Dan: Thank you for taking the time to talk to me! Just one more question - is there anything else you’d like to add?

AA: Of course, thank you for your time! I would like to add that if you're reading this and you've spent hours
on the internet googling things like "I'm in love with a fictional character" or "how to date a fictional
character", just know that you aren't alone, and you aren't a freak. Your love is very real and it's
literally stronger than the barrier between imagination and reality. Don't let other people force their
opinions onto you. Pursue happiness, and embrace your love. Thanks again.  for having me :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Interview with Anonymous 13

"Y ou guys are one of the nicest, sincerest, and supportive groups I have ever seen and been a part of." Dan: Would you be ok with...